-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Frank McKenna
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2001 10:44 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Samba question - making shares invisible

Hi Jose,

Thank you for your reply and sorry for the long post everyone.

> 1) Are the user accounts valid.

> "smbclient -L Sambabox -U Windowsuser"

Have done this for all three users and there does not appear to be any
error messages

> is the Windows Login name (that you used on the Windows machine to log

> in initially) that you have added to Samba via "smbpasswd -a
> Windowsuser".

As far as I know, things are set up correctly for this.

The password that I entered while doing "smbclient -L Sambabox -U
Windowsuser" should be the same as the Linux/Windows password or am I
wrong

----

Yes and it is case specific!

You can get around this slightly by changing the password hashing
levels...

---

> Normally NETBIOS name to IP resolution is done by the DNS, but you
probably don't have one.

I had DNS set up before I broke my install and had to reinstall the O/S.
I thought that I had everything set up the same way as before but that
would make sense.  I am stumbling around in the dark with this.  How
would I find out if DNS is running?  I know that it is enabled in
smb.comf

> You must then "help" windows. There are several ways to do this...
>
> A) Create a HOSTS file (in the same location as your LMHOSTS or
> LMHOSTS.SAM example file) which contains the IP - NETBIOS
> equivalences.

 Not sure where I would put this or what I would have to put in it.

---

The example LMHOSTS.SAM shows you what to do...

Basically if the "name" of your Linux box's SAMBA Netbios name
(specified in smb.conf) is "SAMBABOX" and it's ip is 192.168.0.1 then
you put a line in to HOSTS like this

192.168.0.1             SAMBABOX

Afterwards

"ping SAMBABOX"

Should return 192.168.0.1

> C) Enable the WINS component in Samba and create a local HOSTS entry,
> and then point the workstations to the Samba box's IP for WINS
> resolution...

Have done th is except for the local hosts entry.  Could you explain the
"local HOSTS entry" please

---

See above...

> Changing the hashing depth to 8 helps.

This is a new term for me.

---

The

"password level = 8"
"username level = 8"

Entries in smb.conf control how many characters in the user name and
password Samba will "hash" in attempting to match the login name and
passwords.

Say you entered MaryS as a user name and in Windows you also entered the
same.

Windows loves to change the case of entries. As a result Samba may be
seeing MARYS as the username, coming from Samba (or marys). In this case
Samba would not accept the user!

The USERNAME LEVEL = entry tells Samba to try up to 8 characters
changing each to different combinations of uppercase and lower case
letters until it gets a match.

Without it things must be EXACT.

> Also remember that Windows uses Encrypted passwords, when you use
> SMBCLIENT locally you are sending clear text so if it works locally
> but not remotely (from Windows) it's likely that you do not have
> encryption set up properly...

In my smb.conf, I have encrypted password = Yes.  On my Windows 98 box,
I have hacked the registry to send passwords in clear text.  On my W2K
box I did nothing in terms of password encryption and I can still log
on.

----

DAMN that's the problem!!!!

You are not consistent!

If encrypted passwords is set to ON in samba then it expects encrypted
passwords from Windows. No wonder your W2K box can log in. It's sending
encrypted passwords while Windows is not.

REVERSE the registry hack in Windows. Make it NOT send cleartext and
reboot.

---

If smb.conf is correct, you may be missing a crypt lib or something else
> and/or too high of a security setting...

Crypt.lib is a new term as well. When you say security settings do you
mean security = user or the settings for Linux itself?

---

Neither, the security level for the Linux box overall. You set this
during installation and you can reset it in the Mandrake Control
center...

---

-JMS