I know exactly what you want to do, but can you get by with something
just slightly less?

The reason I ask is that one way to make things almost do what you want
is to use the

[homes]

Section type configuration and hide the [homes] share itself by making
it non-browseable.

(assuming you eliminated all the other shares for the moment...)

Each user then only sees ONE entry for themselves when they double click
on the server.

This entry is user dependant, so if you log in as Jim, all you see is a
share called "Jim"...

Of course you can actually use the macro functions to make it appear as
machine name, user name, etc. or even the name of a passed variable...
(Samba "logs in" as the authenticated user on the Linux box so you can
pass user specific variables this way...)

Once this is set up, you can always add shares that you do want everyone
to see.

You can replicate this technique for multiple shares, and even to point
certain users to specific directory shares which only appear when they
log in.

Yeah I know you talked about it before, but by hiding the homes share
itself it almost appears to the user that there are user/login specific
shares available... Not really of course...

BTW: the NMB portion of Samba could be easily patched to give you what
you want if the browseable function was changed slightly. This may be
something worth suggesting to the Samba group.

Browsing is already controlled by a boolean per share, if instead it
could be set to use passed variables then you have your cake and
icing...

A thought.

-JMS