On Sun, 16 Dec 2001 09:45:51 -0500
Ed Tharp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> turn OFF plug and pray aware OS in bios, yes that is the first thing. how did
> you do it? reserve (also in Bios , isa-pnp) an IRQ for the ISA slot slot the
> modem is in. you might also have to see if there is a setup utility to set
> the modems IRQ (probly dos based) or if this modem has jumpers or dip
> switches.
>
> On Sunday 16 December 2001 01:51, you wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I want to desperately get my Linux box online but my modem causes my mouse
> > to uninstall and I currently cannot navigate that well in command prompt
> > mode.
> >
> > My latest acquisition is a 1998 Diamond System Multimedia Communications
> > Division 56 K ISA internal modem
> >
> > Maybe someone will be able to tell me how to stop my mouse from being
> > uninstalled when I insert my modem.
> >
> > I think that I have turned off PnP if that is the first thing that anyone
> > is going to suggest.

You are going to have to chage the jumpers on the modem for com port.
Right now it is set to use the same port that your mouse is on, this is why
you loose the mouse.
Your ISA moden will have anywhere from 1 to 3 jumoers, allowin you to manually
set the com port, IRQ and I/O address.
If you do not have the docs for the modem then check the Diamond site.

   Charles