On Monday 17 December 2001 06:04, Brian Parish wrote:

> Usually when I get to this point I give up because I knew a little about
> what I tried to do first, less about the next layer and so on until I
> figure I know so little about what I'm doing that all I'll acheive is a
> totally screwed system.  Well, maybe not a great philosophy, but it
> works for me - at least to the extent that my system still boots ;-)
>
> Comments? Advice?

1. install apt (apt-0.3.19cnc51-1mdk.i586.rpm)
2. as root, type "apt-get update" in a terminal
3. type "apt-get install mozilla"
4. wait a while; it will tell you exactly what needs to be installed.

I've found apt faster and more reliable than Mandrake's own *rpmi
(MandrakeUpdate); the downside is that it doesn't tell you when something
brand new has been added to the cooker. It also seems to ignore packages
in the RPMS2 directories, which is where some of the interesting
client-side stuff is hidden.  Also, I've found it best to install a few
outdated packages at a time and watch out for error messages, rather than
risking all on a dist-upgrade. But all in all, a great little package.

--
Michel Clasquin, D Litt et Phil (Unisa)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]/unisa.ac.za   http://www.geocities.com/clasqm

f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n nx dmnstrtn