dfox wrote:

>On Monday 17 December 2001 06:04, Brian Parish wrote:
>
>>1. install apt (apt-0.3.19cnc51-1mdk.i586.rpm)
>>

>I could not find this in my 8.1 Mandrake archive. Where can I get
>a copy?
>
>I've heard of some really good experiences with apt from Debian people,
>and have wanted this on Mandrake. MandrakeUpdate/urpmi  whatever
>it's called is OK but can eat up a lot of RAM. rpmfind is a little better at
>finding dependencies and installing, but not (from what I've heard) as good
>as apt is. I think it's debatable whether or not the Debian package format is
>supposed to make this depencency problem better than RPM - the feedback
>I have gotten suggest .deb is better.

Actually not.  .deb packages are under much stricter prep guidelines and
are prepared by a much smaller group.  There is nothing in the tech
specs that makes them better.  But rpms are used by a much broader
audience and have developed much more rapidly, so expect them to surpass
debs in all capabilities eventually.  The big thing is standardizing
them because some distros use 3 others 4 and not everyone uses rpmlint.

You want rpm-get to load debs.  Also note that mandrake rpms are apt-get
capable.

Civileme