On Tuesday 18 December 2001 07:55, you wrote:
> I shutdown by "right click | logoff | choose Halt" from the KDE desktop.
> Problem?
don't guess that caused it, but could you also send the output of "cat
/proc/pci", and "cat /proc/interrupts" as well as an "ifconfig"?
if ya wanna send them to me off list that is ok too, but when we get it
figured out, we can post the answer to the list. if you caould send the hosts
files for both computers that would be good too, are you running "routed" on
either box?

> Having just rebooted I see that I misquoted the message issued at startx -
> it's actually something about host name unknown, but it goes by too fast to
> see it properly.

> Now that the server has been up all day, the client machine is super fast
> right from the start.  I wonder could it be a process on the server which
> eventually gives up / timesout / dies which is causing these long delays?
yep or on the client too

> Maybe I should set up a periodic "ps aux" command on the server to see if I
> can spot a process which fits the bill.
could help.