On Fri, 21 Dec 2001 11:48:37 +1100
Brian Parish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> studiouisly spake these words to ponder:

> Just to rule a line under this one - my problem with this is definitely
> resolved.  Many thanks to Ed in particular for much perserverance and some
> off list help as well.
>
> It may be worth noting for fellow newbies who set up LM as a server -
> choosing the server partitioning during install seems to result in DNS being
> run by default.  I guess that's a reasonable thing for it to do, but if you
> are setting up a home/small office network, then chances are you don't need
> this.
>
> I guess the simplest advice would be, that if you are setting up a machine as
> a server and you don't know why you would need a local DNS, then you probably
> don't and wouldn't know how to configure it properly anyway.  So jump into
> DrakConf, access "Services" which sit under "System" and switch the sucker
> off!
>
> cheers
> Brian

Brian,

I've got DNS running happily. it was ypbind and yppasswd that was ruining everything
on my network. how's come DNS did you wrong?
--
daRcmaTTeR

Registered Linux User 182496
Mandrake 8.1
 11:05pm  up 4 days, 14:54,  2 users,  load average: 0.49, 0.58, 0.36