Thanks for the responses to this.  I don't think that there are any extra
servers running.  One thing that may be related is that if I run linuxconf
and quit, it complains that squid isn't running and will start it if I let it
do so.  Could this be implicated?  I notice that during the shutdown, I get
error messages telling me it failed to be stopped, presumably because it
wasn't running, so it seems that something expects it to be started.

Hosts files shouldn't be an issue as I am using DHCP and therefore don't have
any addresses there other than that of the server.

thanks again for the input!

Brian