On Sun, 23 Dec 2001 14:22:30 +0200
"Mohammed Arafa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> studiouisly spake these words to ponder:

> greetings
> i was just reading my backlog of mail from the list and i m sorry to say
> that i have to agree (not totally but somewhat) with wendy on something.
>
> say u d/l abc.rpm which needs def.rpm which in turn needs ghi.rpm
>
> so i was wondering ...
> a. how do i find out the dependency tree of a specific program?
> b. is there a program that lists these dependencies automatically?
> i ask the second q. coz tiem and again rpmdrake/kpackage allows me to begin
> the install then says dependcies needed and then i have to waste time
> looking for that rpm. plus. some 1 mentioned auto d/l of dependencies.
> c. how do i enable autod/l?
>
> thx

actually, the easiest way to do all this is in a terminal window. When i'm installing
a package, especially one that I'm not sure is going to go in without any complaining
for other packages I test the install this way:

        rpm -ivh --test <package-name>.rpm

If there are any dependency issues with installing this package they are returned to
the screen. you then fire up a browser and
go here --> http://rpmfind.net  and do a search on the packages that are listed in the
terminal window as being needed by the package you're testing the install for. at this
point you will want the original package as well as any other packages you've
downloaded to satisfy dependency issues to all be in a directory together seperate
from any other packages. You then test the installation again, but using this command:

        rpm -ivh --test *.rpm

Again, as before, if there are still denpendency issues you return to rpmfind.net and
search for and download the packages needed to the directory where you're holding the
rest of the packages and then run the test again. When you can run the test and get
returned to the command prompt without being notified of any dependency problems then
it's safe to proceed with the installation. to do so you would issue this command:

        rpm -ivh *.rpm

That will install all the packages in that directory AND do them in the correct order
necessary. During this process no user intervention is needed. As I stated earlier I
do this all on the command line mainly because while rpmdrake and kpackage are fine
programs you don't really get all that much meaningful feedback from the GUI when
working with the packages whereas when installing packages from the command line there
is much understanding to be had when something isn't working correctly. Thats where
all the error messages and dependency messages are going to be reported to. The
terminal window. At least all the ones that are going to make any sense to the user.

As far as question C. There's a lot to be said for doing it yourself as opposed to
allowing the software to do it for you. In that case all you need is the output from
the terminal window, a browser running and pointed at rpmfind's database and the
necessary time it will take to download the needed packages to make the install you're
working on to happen.

--
daRcmaTTeR
If at first you don't succeed do what your wife told you to do

Registered Linux User 182496
Mandrake 8.1
 11:05pm  up 7 days, 14:54,  2 users,  load average: 0.44, 0.35, 0.41