Maido maido!

> Is there something analagous to the Japanese Language Toolkit in MacOS
> that I can install so that I can read and write Japanese?

        Yes, freeWnn.
        In my case, it was awfully simple since I have installed
in Japanese (i.e. I have chosen Japanese from the installer when
booting from the CD).
        Note: the installer in Japanes did not work in 8.0. In
fact, there was a workaround by setting a boot option (set memory
to 50 MB or something like that). So I will suppose you install
from 8.1.

        Here are the things you should do:

        1. Once installed, you reboot, and you will notice you have
absolutely no menus. The reason is that the default font does not
support Japanese, so you have to the following menu:
        config -> KDE->look & feel -> fonts
and set a font that supports Japanese.

        2. Logout and restart x server, then login again. You should
have all your menus in Japanese.

        3. You should install kinput2 otherwise you cannot write
in Japanese. It is in one of the CDs, so just start the intall engine
(don't remember its name), then search kinput2, install it.

        4. Something that is not documented:
        The default for starting kinput is ctrl-space or shift
control space (don't remember). But to stop kinput2 client and
write in english, you should press ctrl-backspace. (this one
is not documented).
        You can change the default settings (I changed ctrl-space
to shift-space in order to be consistent with the standard (at
least with what I am ised to, BeOS and Mac). But I couldn't find
any way to stop kinput2 client with the same combination.
If you can do that, please tell me.

        Well, sorry, I have to leave, and I will be back at
work in mid January. If you want more info, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Thanks,
>
> Doug Lerner, Tokyo

Pascal, Osaka