hi all.

i'm also trying to figure out how to get japanese working on my system.
the main freewnn site is at:

http://www.freewnn.org/ (in japanese),

but they have an english page at:

http://web.kyoto-inet.or.jp/people/tomoko-y/biwa/root/wnn_e.html

here are some other links that i've collected, but have yet to really go
through and try:

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/jpninpt.html
http://freekde.org/article.php?sid=5&mode=nested&order=0
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~wp7s-mrn/slack80.html (japanese; says
"slackware, but could apply to any distribution, i think)

if one of you has time to try and gets it to work, please let us know!  :)

hope the above links help...

all the best.

p.s.    i will try to read through the japanese dox.  i've lived and worked
in japan for the past 6 years at a japanese systems
         integration firm, and passed level 2 of the jetro business
japanese exam.  (currently in hometown of philly though).  :)