On Friday 28 December 2001 04:57, you wrote:
>> i am working for a japanese-owned company and am the only one using
> mandrake here. it is one of the reasons why i cannot make my officemates
> try linux here in the office. Japanese language support is pretty much a
> black art to me right now. i can receive email with " alias sy='export
> LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.eucJP sylpheed;sylpheed &' " but aside from that i cant do
> anything in nihongo. im using an english QWERTY keyboard so it would be
> beneficial if there would be a mandrake how-to to enable me to work in
> english or japanese like in Windows (the reason why i dual-boot here in the
> office). Wine is out of the question.
>
> i found somebody in the sylpheed mailinglist that can write in mandarin
> while still maintaining an english linux installation. he said the
> principles were the same but he was using some chinese-centric
> applications.
>

> as far as using japanese while maintaining an english installation (aside
> from the TWO Mandrakes solution)... HELP!
>
> ciao!

        Well, a very quick reply... I will try to post a howto.
I use Japanese at work, and Mandrake is the most flexible machine I
know. I can create english accounts and Japanese accounts easily
depending whether people prefer their menus in Japanese or in English.
I guess it should work with any language.

        Japanese input is not standard, but it is possible with
an english keyboard. I write most of my mail in Japanese every
day. If you want some hints, write to the following address, since
I jave to leave now:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

        Bye!

        Pascal