On Thu, 27 Dec 2001 21:33:06 +0900, Doug Lerner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If software were free how could the employees of the software company be
> paid to begin with?

I am not arguing that all software should be free. I am simply stating that in
some cases I believe that the free software model is better. Let the market
decide. Most free software is developed outside of corporations, and much of it
is developed simply as a hobby by the coders (not as a revenue earner).

> I'm sorry, but by this logic you could say, "Instead of spending all that
> money on a down payment and mortgage, think of all the money I could save
> by just moving into the first house I see."

Ummm... no.

The free software model requires a different way of thinking in order to be
properly comprehended. It doesn't work as the capitalist model does, and you
will never understand it properly if you persist in viewing it in that way. I am
not saying that it is incompatible with the capitalist model -- it is simply
different. Indeed, companies like Mandrakesoft and Red Hat have proven that they
_are_ compatible.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

                We are Microsoft of Borg.