On Thursday 27 December 2001 08:26 am, Gonzalo wrote:
> Maybe we donīt need enormous software companies to do the job, just
> idealistic men like the ones moving the opensource world.
>
> And if someone offers free houses (and better than the one i'm paying for)
> wouldn`t you move??
>
> Gonzalo

It seems to me the entire 'open source' software market is predicated on the
free-time meanderings of people who already make enough money doing whatever
it is they do in their chosen field, be it SysOp, Flipping burgers, or
working in a Steel Mill. That amount of 'leisure time' is only possible when
you already have the income to allow you that freedom. Saying that the world
can function without a source of income is not going to serve you in the long
run, although the anti-establishment angst right now is fueling plenty of
coders to try to change things.

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful THEORY. I just don't think its
sustainable in the long term. The last two decades of computer programming
have really been halcyon days, comparatively speaking.

David Reynolds