Some of you seem to have forgotten that most of the advances in the world of
computing have been made in an open fashion. In fact, the idea of making things
proprietary only really surfaced in the 1970s. In many ways, I would argue that
this has done a lot of harm. It has led to uncompetitive monopolies by the likes
of IBM and Microsoft. It has also led to the fragmentation of UNIX. Had the
Internet not been based on fully open standards (TCP/IP, HTTP, FTP, etc.), it
probably wouldn't be much more popular than Compuserve is now.

The idea of open source is not any different from how scientific research has
been conducted for hundreds of years. Somebody discovers something and publishes
it. Others then read it and build upon that work. There are few restrictions on
who is able to use those ideas, so many people give it a shot. The end result is
often rapid development. Nowadays, scientific research has been severely harmed
due to the overzealous awarding of patents. The US Patent Office now allows
patents on specific genes and even on the human genome as a whole. I believe
that people should be rewarded for their hard work, but not when it impinges
upon the rights and freedoms of others.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

  Your mouse has moved. Windows must be rebooted to acknowledge this change.