Civileme,

> Yep, reiser will help prevent the error.  So also will XFS and ext3.
>.
>.
>.
> It is a good idea to make /home a separate partition...

Thanks for the words of advice.  I have another partitiona that I can play
with and I might just try one of the other file systems.

I have always kept /home on a separate disk or (at least) partition.  My
personal is that the *only* way you can make sure that you have a clean, new
install is if you have reformatted the drive!  Clean drive == clean install.

At least that's true in the MSFT world and I assume it holds here as well.
If the partition is not reformatted then you're never sure if there isn't a
"shard" left over from the previous installation that can get picked up by a
program and cause some funny things to happen.