>   I hope someone might be able to help me. I had a power loss at the
> house today and after the linux box rebooted it wouldn't boot into KDE......

I may have had a similar problem recently.  I was running Mandrake 8.1b3 on
this box at the time of a power "flicker".  About a 1 second loss of power.
It would hang during boot.  I didn't even make it to a terminal login.

I also have Debian installed on it.  I booted into Debian and fscked the
partition with ML 8.1b3 on it.  I was able to reboot into Mandrake.  The next
day The power flickered again.  So I did the same thing.  This time it booted
into ML 8.1b3; but things just "weren't right".

My ultimate solution was to finally upgrade to the released version of
Mandrake 8.1 **and** buy a UPS (uninterruptable power supply).

The Mandrake partition is an ext2 filesystem.  The experience had made me
want to look into the reiserfs at some point.  Or perhaps the ext3 file
system.

/Pen