can you type 'linux single' at the lilo prompt? this ought to boot into
single user mode, it's unusual in my experience for a single power cut to
trash a system to such a degree, i guess the first thing to do would be to
check your filesystems by booting into single user mode, booting off the cd
and choosing 'rescue' or using something like 'tomsrtbt' and then running
e2fsck on your linux partitions, it's a wild guess but if trying an upgrade
with the same distro you already have installed and not choosing any extra
packages (whcih should therefore require no extra space) gives an
'insufficient space' error then your database of installed packages might be
broken making the installer think you have less installed than you do and
requiring space to 'put back' what it thinks is missing! the only thing i
know about fixing rpm database problems is to run #rpm --rebuilddb as root,
but of course this assume you can get to a prompt!
you haven't said where your /home is so i'm assuming it''s not on its own
partition, if you cannot tar it up and put on another partition and you have
no other way to back it up then you may have to reinstall by first manually
deleting everything but /home and then doing the install but choosing not to
format the partition, this would be a last resort thing though since make a
mistake and you will have lost your stuff!
to fix stuff to do with run-levels is a little beyond me i'm afraid, the
theory of etc/.../rc0 etc. is simple enough but creating the individual
scripts that go into each directory is way over my head!
if you can get to a prompt then perhaps you can repair your system with help
from 'the experts'

but if it was me and i was on my own i would be trying to reinstall without
formatting and thus keeping /home,

at your own risk yada yada:-)

bascule