Amish K. Munshi wrote:
>     I am a silent observer at all the lists. But I am keen on knowing
> about the Linux distributions you have tried. I just have a Red Hat
> 7.0, 7.1 and an Caldera e-Desktop 2.4, the Caldera 2.4 and Red hat 7.0
> have very good speed of working but my modem is supported only on a
> 2.4 kernel. So I have to use ResHat 7.1, I do not have a dedicated
> internet connection so I can't download any distibutions for myself.
> Can you tell me if this slow speed of execution is a problem with the
> new 2.4 kernel, since I have a lot of memory(160 MB) and a pretty good
> processor (5000 Mhz K6-2). Also which is your favourite distro and
> why?
>     Sorry to ask you so many questions right at the first go, but I am
> a newbie and want to enter the world of linux all alone in my friend
> circle, and if I have to get a Linux distro then I have to buy a
> Magazine that has a distro (That means a lot of waiting) or buy a
> boxed product (which is expensive to try distro's for the first go). I
> have been using 7.1 for a long time now.
>     Thanks and bye.

Amish,

I assume that you found my name on the newbie list, so I am responding
there.

I tried several Linux distributions about 18 months ago, and they would
all be considered out-of-date at this point.  (Examples: Mandrake 7.2
and earlier, RedHat 6.0 and earlier, Caldera 2.4 and earlier, and some
one ofs that don't come to mind at this time.)  Of those, I liked
Mandrake 7.2 the best.  One criteria was an installation that worked on
my hardware, another was software that I liked (and I ended up liking
KDE more than GNome or anything else).

Recently I tried RedHat 7.2 because someone donated a server for a
project with RedHat 7.2 preinstalled.  I tried installing it on one of
my machines to have a testbed, but was not successful.  I tried
upgrading to Mandrake 8.0 and troktopel 3 but was not successful, have
now been somewhat successful with Mandrake 8.1.

IMHO, if you have a working installation of something like RedHat 7.1,
stick with it until you find a limitation that requires that you change
or upgrade.  There is a fair amount of documentation available on RedHat
(maybe more than any other Linux, but maybe Mandrake is catching up
here).

What part of the world are you in?  Maybe I can send you Mandrake 7.2 or
8.1 if it doesn't cost much in postage (or import duties).

Randy Kramer