Hi,

I was going to write about a different problem, but now something far
worse has happened!  Although my system did not crash, and I didn't even
previously do a hard shutdown, I get the following message when my
machine powers on:
LILO 21.7 Loading linux.................

And absolutely nothing happens after that, and there is no hard drive
activity.  Since it had been making some "odd" noises recently, I'm
thinking my hard drive has gone bad, but I'm wondering if someone knows
of anything I can try before I do anything drastic (like replacing it
and reinstalling Linux from scratch).  BTW, I just recently updated my
kernel to the latest one off of MandrakeUpdate, 2.4.8 I think.

Thanks very much,
Joe