On Saturday 19 January 2002 06:39, Joe Janzen wrote:
> Thanks for everyone's help with this problem.  Yes, unfortunately I did
> update the kernel with MandrakeUpdate.  I was apprehensive but went
> ahead, assuming it wouldn't be available through Update if that wasn't a
> recommended method. Yep, big mistake it seems.
>
> Anyway, I looked at the example you cited below, but I don't know how to
> do this since I can't execute any commands; I just get the error message
> and nothing (no prompt).  Not even a LILO prompt - just the "LILO
> suggested, for the same reason.

Boot with the 1st Mandrake CD as if you're going to install ML and when you
get to the bit where you choose the installation type, choose "Expert" and
"Update" (NOT "Install") - read carefully.  Then continue without choosing
any software packages and it will install the original kernel again.  You
should be right from there on. HTH

skinky
--
oxymoron:  Microsoft Works