I edited my fstab and replaced the existing ZIP entry with the following:

/dev/hdd4 /mnt/zip auto
user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,sync,exec,codepage=850,noauto 0 0

Did not reboot, since I'm told that the changes are automagically made.

Typed "mount /mnt/zip" and got "mount: /dev/hdd4 is not a block device"
again. Strange.

Just for grins, I changed "hdd4" to "hdd" in the ZIP's fstab entry and tried
again. Typed "mount /mnt/zip" and got "mount: /dev/hdd is not a block
device". I changed the entry back to "hdd4" in fstab.

Here is my entire /etc/fstab:

/dev/hda1 / ext2 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/hda6 /home ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto
iocharset=iso8859-1,ro,nosuid,noauto,user,exec,codepage=850,nodev 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto
iocharset=iso8859-1,rw,sync,nosuid,exec,user,noauto,nodev,codepage=850,unhid
e 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /var ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/hdd4 /mnt/zip auto
user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,sync,exec,codepage=850,noauto 0 0

---
Andrew Vogel: Manager of Professional Programs at the University of
Cincinnati College of Pharmacy
http://pharmacy.uc.edu                                       (513)-558-3784