"Vogel, Andrew (VOGELAP)" wrote:

> I edited my fstab and replaced the existing ZIP entry with the following:
>
> /dev/hdd4 /mnt/zip auto
> user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,sync,exec,codepage=850,noauto 0 0
>
> Did not reboot, since I'm told that the changes are automagically made.
>
> Typed "mount /mnt/zip" and got "mount: /dev/hdd4 is not a block device"
> again. Strange.
>
> Just for grins, I changed "hdd4" to "hdd" in the ZIP's fstab entry and tried
> again. Typed "mount /mnt/zip" and got "mount: /dev/hdd is not a block
> device". I changed the entry back to "hdd4" in fstab.

Okay, I'm just about out of ideas here. First of all, do a "mount -a" whenever
you make an /etc/fstab change (at least).

You are using v8.1 of Mandrake, right? You also do have supermount disabled,
right? You do have a good, working Zip cart in your drive, right? You might
also try disabling devfs in /etc/lilo.conf, because it conflicts with things
sometimes. I had to disable it to get my CDRW to work.

If none of these things work, then I guess you'll have to ask for more help
from somebody with a little better Linux knowledge than I have.

Sorry I could not help more... ;-(

--

                                                                       /\
                                                                   Dark><Lord