On Thu, 07 Feb 2002 04:01:26 -0700, FemmeFatale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
> > 1) As little legacy stuff as possible. No ISA ports and a minimum of
> > serial and paralel ports.
>
> A couple of empty ISA ports won't really do any harm, unless you need to plug
> in heaps of PCI cards. Whatever you do, your CPU chipset will still have ISA
> support enabled, so there is no real preformance benefit from not having ISA
> slots.
> <SNIP>
>
> OK correct me if i'm wrong, but... I understood that disabling or not having
> ISA slots speeds up the accessing of the southbridge/northbridge chips to the
> rest of hte peripherals.  IE, they don't have to wait for the ISA timings
> (which are significantly slower) to catch up to the PCI ones.
>
> Is my info correct or not ? Thx

I could be wrong, but I believe that you cannot truly turn off ISA support in
the southbridge or northbridge. Sure, it can be turned off in the BIOS, but
these settings have no effect on the CPU chipset. Moreover, GNU/Linux always
ignores the BIOS anyway (unless the BIOS decides to interfere with something, of
course).

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

                "I am Linus Torvalds and yes, I am your god."
                          -- Linus Torvalds