On Sunday 10 February 2002 06:28 pm, Hanan Z. Shargi wrote:
> Geee.. Thanks everyone :-)
>
> I really liked "blufish"  .... boy this linux box is like a box of wonders
> .. u never know how FULL it is !!
>
> one more thing... why do I have the feeling that everybody is trying to
> sned me the message: "hey ... using a WYSIWYG app is not considered a good
> thing "

The problem is that most WYSIWYG editors don't know how to code as well as
the average human. HTML may be simpler than some languages out there but that
doesn't mean it doesn't have its complexities. Having 47 different font tag
changes in a document isn't good coding practice, but it's what I end up with
after FrontPage gets ahold of my average page. (Well, they weren't there
before). The computer may not understand that I really DO want to keep the
same font throughout the same page. That's why I like Quanta - I can code the
way I want, then see it immediately (though admittedly it doesn't do too well
with Server Side Includes, but that's what Konq is for).

Style sheets are also a Good Thing, though not all older browsers use them
well. Another good link is the Backward Compatability Viewer at
http://www.delorie.com/web/wpbcv.html - this lets you see your webpage under
virtually any still-used browser out there.

Heck, if you want mail me off the list and I'll send you my bookmarks for
HTML editing. It took me about 4 days of crash course studying to learn most
of the new tricks, and I hadn't touched HTML since about version 2.0.

The three books I have on my desk, in addition to the websites, are:
QUE's Special Edition Using HTML 4, Fifth Edition (probably not the most
recent, but it's what the library had), by Molly E. Holzschlag. This one is
good for beginner to midrange resources, sort of like a readable HTML bible.
Effective Web Design, Second Edition, by Ann Navarro. This one covers the
topic of XHTML/XML fairly well.
JavaScript for the World Wide Web, 3rd Edition, by Tom Negrino and Dori
Smith. I realize not everyone uses JavaScript but I found the book pretty
well written.

Hope that helps,
David R

> ?? :-)

> Hanan Z. Shargi
> Registered Linux User# 259916

"Natives who beat drums to drive off evil spirits are objects of scorn
to smart Americans who blow horns to break up traffic jams."