On 15 Feb 2002 14:42:50 +0900
Charles Muller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> revealed these words to me:

> I have been going through some Linux books, and I get the general idea,
> but I am not sure exactly how to go about this.
>
> I have a backup that I want to run daily, that goes something like this
>
> $ tar cvzf /mnt/win_d/docs/e-mail/evolution/evol.tar.gz
> /home/chuck/evolution
>

> I would like to save this in a file that I can run as a command, like a
> BAT file in DOS. I assume then, that I would save this script in a text
> file. Then, what else should I do, in terms of naming, or other
> preparation, to have it available as a command?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chuck

if you want an incremental backup (meaning the previous day's mail is saved), try this
instead

tar zcvf /mnt/win_d/docs/e-mail/evolution/evol-`date +%Y%m%d`.tgz
/home/chuck/evolution

and put it in the cron jobs to be executed daily(search the archives on how to submit
a job to cron). this way your backups have the date on their filename.

ciao!

--

"Programming, an artform that fights back."

Anuerin G. Diaz
Design Engineer
Millennium Software, Incorporated
2305 B West Tower, Philippines Stocks Exchange Center,
Exchange Road, Ortigas Center, Pasig City

Tel# 638-3070 loc. 72
Fax# 638-3079