Hi Andre,
I am a newbie also : ), so I can't help you much with installing it
as an ordinary user. I installed Netscape 6.2 as root and I can run
it as a normal user. If that is your worry, don't worry anymore. You
could try installing it in another directory which you have
permission to write, but I've never done it, can't help again.
Good luck,

Rodrigo

using "NetscapeInstaller"
> involves downloading from the net. I've no problem with that, but I
do take
> issue that, in order for the install to succeed, the files must go
into
> /usr/local/netscape.
>
> Now, unless I'm mistaken /usr/local has root:root permissions. So,
in effect
> I have to download as root? Sounds like a Windows-come-and-get me
install??

> My gut feeling is that I must be mistaken, and/or I don't
understand the

http://www.webhart.net/csrb/