Hi Heather,

I have had this very problem, and have figured out how to fix it.  In my
/etc/modules.conf file, there is an entry that says something like:

alias sound-slot-0 emu10k1

To fix the problem with my computer and my SBLive card, I commented out
that line (put a # in front of it), and added the following to the
/etc/modules file:

sound-slot-0 emu10k1

This way, it forces the kernel to load the module at boot.  For some
reason, the module wasn't being loaded properly the other way.  Hope
that helps.

Terry