FemmeFatale wrote:

> Just to clarify... and thank you for the input & explanations. :)
>
> Michael wrote:
>
> > I think it is a neat facility to have available to us. It's use: A program dies,
> > or you have to kill it. Once you have cleared it from memory "Ctrl Alt F12" and
> > it tells you what happened. It seems to be a bonus not a problem Femmey. Much
> > easier to keep up with what is happening on your box.
>
> How do I clear it from memory?  I used the XKill a few times (icon on
> desktop).  Is that it?
> Hm ya sounds useful. Thx.

1. A nice easy way (if X is still ok) is with kpm. In my LM7.1 menus on KDE it
is in

        Applications > Monitoring > Process Management

2. From command line use "ps" to find the ap and "killall" or "kill -s x proc"
to kill it. Where x=the signal number and proc= the process number that was in
"ps" is  Being a real operating system Linux will ensure that all space that any
locked program was taking is freed up when you kill it. Read the manual on these
for your options i.e. "man ps"

3. They talk about "top" as a command line version of kpm. <blush> Don't know as
i haven't used it yet - hey we can't learn all the tools simultaneously
</blush>. Try "man top" and see if that is what you want.

4. Like the Xkill icon, as i found out from a recent thread, "Ctrl" "Alt" and
"Esc" turns on an Xkill mode with a nice mouse pointer. Manouver with the
keyboard arrows if the mouse is frozen. Try it, the same key combination toggles
it back off again.

> > And while we are on the subject of logs. Be aware that you shouldn't turn off
> > your machine overnight. Read up on logrotate "man logrotate".
>
> Hm... well my little box is usually on 24/7, except when I reboot to
> Windows.
>
> Thx I will look that up.
>
> > Sorry about the bandwidth but i hope this helps our distressed lady friend ;)
> >
> > Michael
> >

> Love the sig line.  Yes i'm distressed, usually when I melt yet
> *another* install.  Like yesterday, I installed Ximian Gnome & it broke
> a lot of programs.  Such as Xmms & a few others. :\

My sig is autogenerated by "cron" running "fortune". I vet out the long ones and
replace them if i feel like it. I still read the long ones as there are so many
on the database and they are so good.

> Awww I'm a lady friend, thx.  Very cool to know I'm your friend.  Guess
> that means I'm part of this community now, like it or not. :)
>
> FF

Are you happy with all the info on the "F12" display? Was yours running ok when
you checked it out? The reason i am asking is it is good to hear back when and
how a problem was solved. Especially for someone searching the archives in the
future.

Michael
--
RELATIVES!!