Gerald Waugh wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, cervix couch wrote:
>
>>>%_
>>>
>>I've been having a problem in Linux and I have no idea where to look for the culprit.
>>
>>My problem is that, periodically, while I'm online (and only when I'm online), the
>system will get extremely sluggish to the point where I usually have to power down
>and reboot.
>>
>>When this happens, there are sounds like there's a lot of hard disk activity going
>on and it never stops.
>>
>>I've tried unplugging the modem, but it doesn't do any good.
>>
>>Does anyone know why this happens?
>>
>THRASHING!!!
>You need more RAM
>Linux is trying to run swapping everything back and forth to the hard drive
>
>--
>Gerald Waugh

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

What browser are you using?

Several will fill the memory with cache and not flush.

The command line

bdflush -d

will display the settings for the flush.  Share them and we will know more.

If the message is "command not found", INSTALL bdflush and start it
without parameters at boot time--put the line

bflush

as the next to last line of /etc/rc.local

Civileme