In addition to Toms excellent advise. Try the <CTRL> - <ALT> - F2 key
combination to bring up a different Term. Login there then run "top". It may be
quicker if X is sluggish.

Alternatively, if things are not that sluggish, you may want to use a GUI
version like kpm (under KDE). Open it and have a look while things are normal.
Mine (running MDK7.1) is in

        Applications > Monitoring > "Process Management"

The PID (Process ID) is the task number of each running program. You can kill
any programs from the menus if you are root, or kill any of your own if you are
a user.

Have fun

Michael

--