On Tuesday 19 March 2002 07:26, sda opened a hailing frequency and
transmitted:

> On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 01:11:19PM -0500, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:

> If they're moving to a subscriber model, then why is it called a "club"
> and not a subscription service? BTW are you talking offically and are
> you an employee of MandrakeSoft?

just opinion here, but club not only sounds nicer but is more acurate due
to the community building attempt.  also you get more out it than if you
simply bought eack boxed set.  or at least that seems to be the plan.

> Why
> are they giving away the ISO's for free rather than following SuSE's
> successful implementation of a preview non-installable iso?

again, just opinion, but while i would like to see a live cd of mandrake,
the day that is only way to download a cd from them is the day i leave.
suse might earn my respect if it weren't for that.  and i have several
friends who agree.  and for me mandrakes model is a success.  i am paying
them.......

> If they did
> this alone, it would cut down on the freeloaders burning the distro and
> not contributing. Who really cares about the commercial binaries, not
> many I think. Most come to Mandrake for the ease of installation and
> ease of setup. That's the selling feature they must concentrate on.

while true, and while i really wish places like cheapbytes didn't burn cds
and make a killing off of mandrake (and others) hard work, i think the club
subscription can partlly combat this.  you can still get it free, but the
idea you are contributing, for just a few bucks a month, plus get software
not on either the downloads or even the box set, is hard to pass up.

> Yes I guess I was delusional when I bought 5k shares last year. I
> expect MandrakeSoft to make a profit, sooner rather than later. On track
> to make a profit means absolutely nothing to me, when I was promised the
> same thing at the end of 1st quarter 2002. You see I believe in this
> distro technically, just not sure I can say the same thing about how it
> runs it's business or executes a somewhat dubuious business plan.

short term investing?  well i won't get into that discussion, but i hope
they do well for your investments too.

--
"one mans theology is anothers belly laugh" -heinlein

shane
Profile at: http://dmoz.org/profiles/shen.html
Proud to be a DMOZ editor since 10-98
Mandrake Users Club Member http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/club/