john rigby wrote:

>Ahhh,
>Is anyone home with you two? Hellooooooo?
>
>The reason that my comms are in Doze is because - **like femme** and a
>zillion others - the Mandrake installs fail!!.
>
>I cannot since Redhat 5.2 ( nor can anyone else I've ever known) replace the
>most basic functions of a person who makes a living using a
>computer.......... like writing letters, backing up to a CD, editing a
>little Website, etc. etc.

Strange, II trained 15 secretaries on Mandrake 6.1 and it is still in
use at a government office (upgraded to 8.1 now, but using StarOffice
and WordPerfect in an all-linux network )inside a state whose government
would halt without Microsoft software.

That statement you made smacks of FUD and sounds very unprofessional.
 Here you are on a help list but not looking for help, only complaining
without specifics.

>AND I've had fabulous support and help from the good people on this very
>List, who tried very hard to help, over what seems decades.
>
>I still have not read a cogent argument against a single comment I made. Not
>a single line of rational, supportable argument.
>( BTW: "YA Mother wears gumboots!" is not a cogent retort, neither is to
>betray abysmal ignorance of the language and refer to a person as a
>"troll" - a distinct entity in English mythology with sound etymology.)

Troll--to move the boat slowly along a chum line in search of gamefish.
 Some folks get off on trolling for flame wars after which they can
participate gleefully or sit on the sidelines observing the sparks and
incendiaries and mud being slung by the participants.  The
(unfortunately true) internet legendary flame war included a pregnant
participant who posted that she could not properly put her opponents in
their places as she had to go deliver her baby...

 But, never fear, I don't place you in the category of troll.  You I
would place in two possible categories.   One is the fellow who is so
sure his view of the world is the _ONLY_ right one  that he posts
nonsense which makes sense in his own experience but ignores factors he
has never observed.  Probably such a person has never read W. Edwards
Deming, or having read him, understood the dynamics that could be
achieved by proper application.  The other is that sort of sinister
character who sees the problems newbies encounter with linux as an
opportunity to spread discouragement and dissent for reasons of his own.
 I am sad to report that I believe this category likely.

> My last - thanks to Big Bill's product - which does at least work -
>communication on the arcane matter of Business Point101.
>
>I will wait and see what other bad news appears like Femmes re 8.2.   (Sigh)
>like most people most of my things now will tend to be USB.... like most of
>the world except the M8.2 distro........??

Well, USB support is much better but will not be perfect.  Most USB
devices are honoring the standard with lips, not with hardware and
making up for it by writing windows drivers.  But we've got printers and
cameras and non-proprietary scanners and some storage devices including
some of the memory devices working pretty well.  Crashtesters have been
happy on that score.  naturally there are bugs, but most of them are
elsewhere and often range into the arcane, like when someone chooses a
16-bit character encoding for Samba Shares (which windows doesn't like
very much either) but we have targeted the worst and will have the
update fixes tested by the time the disks hit the shelves.

>Sadly,
>
>John

Anyway, you would never see this level of discussion of problems
tolerated on a Microsoft list.  In fact it is a LICENSE AGREEMENT
VIOLATION on some of their software to use it to criticize Microsoft.
 And if you don't believe me, just read the End-User License Agreement
for FrontPage 2000 or 2002.  When the UCITA passes in Washington State,
some of Microsoft's critics are likely to find themselves criminals
because they use FrontPage to make a web page that criticizes Microsoft.

We can take criticism, and we can take you as well, because most list
members will see the FUD you spread for what it is, just a very clever
twist to make problem-solving seem like something dirty.

When one is tryoing to take a complex thing and make it simple, and easy
to use, decisions have to be made about excluding cases from the
handling of the tools available.  Almost all the requests on this list
result from lack of knowledge about how to exceed the design of the
tools or from failure of the tool to fully protect the user from
mistakes.  So this list is very important to honing tool design and
provides a source of feedback to improve the product.

If you really stumbled so totally with Mandrake, then try to install
Windows and see how much luck you have--not with the manufacturers
install or restore disk but with a fresh system disk.  The fact is,
right now, we're easier.  We're easier than XP and we support more hardware.

OK enough said.  I won't be seeing any more of your posts unless you
email me directly.

Civileme