On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 01:03:32 +0200
Robin Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I did my MA dissertation on Word and spent so long setting up styles to
> do what I wanted, it would have been quicker to have formatted
> everything by hand (and this was something very, very simple - I just
> wanted decimal numbered subheadings, blockquotes etc. of the normal type
> you'd find in the LaTeX article class).  After numerous misnumberings
> and other glitches, I finally got it working long enough to get a
> printout. "Oh well," I thought, "it was probably worth the effort, since
> I can use the same styles in other papers."  Then I came back after the
> summer break, and all my styles were gone.

I did my Ph.D dissertation in WordPerfect for Windows. I don't know how
many months I wasted in trying to get it to behave properly. It would
suddenly decide to screw-up my page numbering, or much worse, decide to
reorganise all my footnotes. It would take hours to sort out the mess, and
then it would do it again.

Word processors like WP and Word are great for short business letters, but
they are not designed for writing very large, complex, multi-chapter
documents with equations and footnotes.

I wish I had known about LyX and LaTeX at the time. It would have saved me
a lot of time and trouble. Advanced use of LyX is a steep learning curve,
but its the most productive platform there is for writing large, complex
documents.