On Saturday 23 March 2002 01:19, sda wrote:

> Ghostscript doesn't create the best PDF's, [for publishing], remember
> `portable document format' is a creation of Adobe - they own it. So
> obviously the postscript level three systems that Adobe licenses work best
> for Acrobat files. Additonally modern prepress systems RIP's [raster image
> processing] usually do some rather neat things with PDF's. Remember
> we're talking about print publishing, so that PDF has to colour separate
> and trap, also, in the real world, changes often come after the fact. How
> many people here know how to edit a PDF or a postcript file, on another
> box but their own? If you've attempted such, you'd quickly realize that
> font's are a problem when using different systems. I might not have the
> same font that the author used. A properly made PDF file is excellent
> for publishing, as the fonts are embedded. One can't say the same about
> postcript files and they are difficult to pre-flight [check for errors
> prior to publishing].

That makes sense.  AFAIK, it's possible to embed PDF fonts when converting
from LaTeX. Not sure how well it works, though - I only use PDF files for the
web, and quickkly it's a minefield: pslatex fonts work fine, many others will
produce nice documents, but only for the 1% of web users who have
Ghostscript. So presumably what is needed for Linux/LaTeX users is a better
way to produce PDF directly, rather than the usual dvi->ps->pdf route.
pdftex has its advocates, but it's still beta, and thin on features at the
moment.

> In terms of accepting just .ps files - you have to remember that this
> file must work with the publisher pre-press systems. Unless one has a
> "history" with the publisher, they generally don't accept .ps files as
> most people don't know the specs required for the publishers systems. If
> you do it the standard way, one submits the job in Quark, FrameMaker,
> whatever and the publisher creates the postscript according to their
> specs. Again changes are often made after the fact to documents. Who
> wants to be responsible for altering a clients .ps? Not me and other's
> in the industry feel the same way.

Heh, that's one reason why I'd prefer to submit as .ps!

> Also I'm surprised that people are mentioning word processors in this
> thread. Word processors aren't used in professional publishing - no
> typesetter would be caught using such and they don't play well with
> pre-press systems. TeX used to be the standard, but when the modern page
> layout apps came along, like Quark, FrameMaker, the use of LaTeX and TeX
> quickly fell by the wayside. The output was considered too unreliable
> and doing changes in a busy workflow was awkward to say the least. No
> one that has used LaTeX in the past and now uses the very sophisticated
> layout apps, would ever wish LaTeX on their worst enemy. It has it's
> uses, but not in the modern publishing environment. Unfortunately these
> layout apps haven't been ported to Linux. That'll never happen until
> font foundries are better supported and companies like Adobe are
> convinced they can make $ from Linux users.

Sorry to here that LaTeX has lost popularity outside academia - of all the
formats I've looked at, it seems the best, if only because it converts well
to other formats.  I find the situation pretty confusing at the moment - I
mean one publisher I submitted a manuscript to asked for .rtf !  There again,
there's a difference between publishers (who are going to mess about with
your manuscript considerably) and printers, who presumably only want to tweak
thinks visually a bit.

I don't think Adobe (or any software house) will ever be convinced they can
make $ out of Linux (hardware firms have woken up to the potential, but
that's a qualitativey different situation).  However, we will probably see
Linux apps which can produce Quark or FrameMaker-compatible documents soon
-- after all, KWord is modelled on FrameMaker, I think (possibly one reason
why I'm not terribly keen on it - I just can't think in terms of frames).

Robin