OK John,

Let's take this a step at a time.  First let's establish what you have -
please correct any mistakes:

- 2 computers, one with 2 network cards installed and the other with
one.
- a cable modem or adsl modem connected to a line and with lights on.
- a hub to whci both computers are connected, or a crossed cable between
the computers.

Since I know you are in Sydney - same time zone as me - let's just
establish that much first and go from there.

Brian