Let's check the network card connections first.  Follow the cable from
the Telstra modem back to your computer.  Where it connects wil be one
network card.  There is presumably another network card close by with a
similar cable which connects to yet another network card in your W98
machine.

i.e.

XP/Linux box ---------------------- W98 box

Telstra modem

I now need to boot XP to refresh my memory on where to tell you to look
next - happens so rarely these days I'm getting rusty on Windoze - and
loving it!

Verify we are right so far while I do that.

Brian