Thanks a lot Brain for helping btw.

okay.

THIS is going to take a lot, due to the fact i know NOTHING about computers
(but I've gotten this far and learnt a lot, the main thing I've learnt is
how little I know about computers, lol)

- Yup I have 2 computers.
NO IDEA about the network cards, how I do check that?
is it important?
- I have a cable modem. and Yes the lights are on, on my special modem that
telstra supplied (or else this e-mail would be a miracle)
- I don't think I have a hub (I've seen one before and I'm pretty sure I
don't have one). I only have 2 computers so I am 99% sure my Dad just got a
crossed cable between the 2. (I do know that my Windows XP/Linux computer
has to be on for my Windows 98 computer to work =( it's annoying).

Hope that's a help.