This is obvious to an old hand. When a directory name starts with "/" that means
the top directory. It is the one that contains /bin, /etc, /home, /root and
/var. That is why you can only write a new directory in it as root or su (super
user).

Michael

--
Anti-trust laws should be approached with exactly that attitude.