Tom Brinkman wrote:

>     That spin up/down you're citing is indicative of the marketing
> hype Civileme mentioned about the belief that faster is better, eg,
> 52x Cdroms vs. 8x.  All Cdroms, burners, and HDD's, whether SCSI or
> IDE run on the 33 Mhz PCI bus.

Well...my DVD is a 40x and my CDRW is a 32x...and both are definitely faster
than the 52x IDE I replaced, when it comes to game playing (Diablo2 esp.) I
did a simple "time" test between my CDRW and the 52x IDE before I removed it,
copying the same file from CD to HD...the 52x was faster, but only slightly
so, nowhere near what you would think it do. (and thats counting the actual
transfer only - if you throw in the time it takes for the IDE to spin up then
the SCSI is actually faster).

>       Sorry, poor choice of words on my part.  I should'a just said
> 'I prefer IDE for a desktop PC'.  Probly just prejudice on my part,
> but I don't believe the little real world performance increase (yeah,
> I know that _theoretically_ it's almost 20% increase), justifies the
> increased cost and the need for SCSI controllers.  Surely SCSI is a
> good choice for production server systems, but many are run with IDE
> drives and provide near equal performance and reliability at lower
> cost.

I understand.

>       That's mostly HDD's tho. As for burners, a SCSI isn't gonna
> turn out CD's any faster than an IDE.  Specially since I believe
> media (CDr's) are the limiting factor.  If you want reliable CD's,
> don't burn 'em faster than 8x. When I make copies of Mandrake CD's
> for friends, I burn at 4x after 'dd'ing the iso to a HDD first. Now
> if you're working in a shop making 1000's of CD's, you should probly
> use a SCSI burner, but still have the source iso on a HDD ;>
> --
>     Tom Brinkman                       Corpus Christi, Texas

Okay, thanks for taking the time to explain! ;-)

--

                                                                       /\
                                                                   Dark><Lord