This is a common problem. You need to ensure that your user, the cdwriter,
and all the cd applications have the same group permissions.

1/Create a group called 'cdwriter' using Userdrake and put any users who are
to burn CD's in that group. (It may already exist)

2/ You then need to give cdwriter group privileges for the following
applications (all in /usr/bin) If any of these apps are missing install them
from RPM.
cdrecord
cdda2wav
cdparanoia
mkisofs
readcd
You can do this using konqueror. Just open
Kmenu>Application>FileTools>FileManager(SuperUserMode)
Find the files you want to change the permissions of, right click, select
'Permissions' and set the group name to be cdwriter

3/ Put the CD-RW in the cdwriter group by editing the permissions of /dev/scd0

You can test your cd burner by opening a user terminal and typing
cdrecord --scanbus
If it finds your CD writer then cd burning should work.

HTH

derek