On Saturday 30 March 2002 01:04 pm, Hanan Shargi wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> There seemed to be a missing post somewhere ..as I found some suggestions
> in Gerald's reply whcih I never seen before !?@

I added all the ### entries

> Anyway, I tried configuring the bastille-firewall.cfg with the notes in
> this post, and I finally was able to ping the linux box from the w2k
> machine
>
> :)))))))))))))))))
>
> yet I cannot do that by hostname : e.g I can only ping 192.168.0.1 but not
> by the machines name although it is correctly listed in the hosts file on
> the w2k machine.

Be careful of the hosts file in windows.
192.168.0.1   hanan.localnet.tld  hanan
The '1' in 192 must be at the absolute begining of the line
no spaces, no tabs

> ALso when I ran:
>
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/bastille-firewall start
>
> I got the following warning:
>
> You have Bastille configured for masquerading and
> you have enabled Mandrake's Internet Connection Sharing.
> We will use Bastille's rules. To get rid of this
> warning, use DrakConf to disable Internet Connection Sharing
> or disable Bastille's ICS by setting IP_MASQ_NETWORK to ""
> in /etc/Bastille/bastille-firewall.cfg
>
> Shall I really disable connection sharing in  mandrake control center ?
> or can I just ignore this ?

Try setting IP_MASQ_NETWORK to ""  first
If that doesn't work then try disable connection sharing
It may be that they are mutually exclusive.

> And now I wanna make sure I understood this situation correctly:
> its Bastill-firewall who does the iptables rules implicitly ? so one should
> not use iptables anymore if he/she is running bastille ?

I don't know, as I don't use bastille. (Anyone ???)
--
Gerald Waugh : Registered Linux user # 255245
http://www.frontstreetnetworks.com