On Saturday 06 April 2002 01:02 am, you wrote:
> Damian wrote:
> >El sáb, 06-04-2002 a las 03:46, Seedkum Aladeem escribió:
> >>Somehow, it looks like that there may have been more issues than there
> >> was with LM 8.0 or 8.1. It might be a good idea to have a bug fix
> >> release before the boxed version comes out. If only to blunt possible
> >> smear campains that may come from Redmond. And besides, many complain
> >> that Linux requires users to be more computer savvy than for the Redmond
> >> OS. Making possible converts go through rpm updates may not help dispel
> >> the perception that Linux is for geeks. Many may return to Redmond never
> >> come back again. Just read the Rigby "FUD". Personally, I would not mind
> >> a delay in the release of the boxed version if need be.
> >
> >i agree that 8.2 seems to be a little more problematic, ( judging only
> >by amount of posts. personally i had about 0 problems )
> >but, including a post from civileme stating that an installation
> >using only Download disc 1 leaves you with a broken KDE...
> >

> >however i assume that the greater amount of glitches is due to the
> >introduction of new features. it's only natural. next release
> >will probably be less innovative but will work better...
> >

> >anyway i guess Mandrake is better off ( and probably already )
> >working on 9.0 ( or will they release 8.3? )
> >
> >in any case, i wouln't make a new release of the distro just to
> >avoid FUD.. if the guys at MDK feel they need to fix stuff, they will.
> >
> >Damian

> >Want to buy your Pack or Services from MandrakeSoft?
> >Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com
>
> Sorry, the broken KDE and GNOME from a single disk install will stand.
>  Itis not an error.  You really need at least two CDs and preferably
> three to make this work with such things as openoffice and java and
> KDE3.  RH has a beta out with three CDs and it will NOT stop install
> with only one or two.  In fact, CD3 contains the kernel, so installing
> it with less than 3 is impossible.
>
> WinXP installs from one CD, but you will have notepad and solitaire for
> apps.  With a linux distro, you get quite a few apps.  Peanut linux is
> still one CD, bt it has exactly two WMs and lacks many applications.
>
> Most of what I have seen in the way of difficulties fall into three
> categories:
>
> 1.  Incomplete installs, often from the fact that getting a CD or DVD
> drive to read what a CDRW hath written is problematic, and may have VERY
> HIGH failure rates, especially for older drives reading 700Mb CDs and
> for ultra-fast drives which should never have been manufactured (They
> aren't ultra-fast, just ultra-high spin and do a lot of retries).
>
> 2.  Lack of knowledge about msec and what it does and why.  This is
> particularly acute right now because we scrubbed some useless firewall
> configurations to revamp the tools so they teach better and offer more
> options to people in an understandable way and people are turning to
> msec which is essentially a static security setup, not as well
> [...]

The answer to item (1) above is probably the following:

A- Make the install utility do the md5sum tests automatically before the
install is done.
B- Make the installer utility do the memory test (and any other inportant
test that may be neseccary) before the install is done. Heck do them also
after the install is complete too.

Seedkum