In Re: [newbie] Smartmedia card reader, on Tue, 16 Apr 2002
02:53,
 Florian wrote:

Thanks for your reply Florian,

> Hi i got a smartmedia reader and its emulated to be a scsi device
> (actually that is on a debian machine but the difference should
> not be too big)
>
> do an "lsmod" as root and check if you got "scsi-mod" and
> "usb-storage" loaded if not you gotta probably add it to your
> /etc/modules (i hope for you that thats enough)

I have scsi-mod but not usb-storage

> if not you gotta probably add it to your
> /etc/modules (i hope for you that thats enough)

I don't know how to do that.  I do have it there but not sure how
# locate usb-storage
/lib/modules/2.4.8-26mdk/kernel/drivers/usb/storage/usb-storage.o.gz

"add it to your /etc/modules"

I will hive off and read books on it now :) but a tip here would be
nice.

~

<snip>

> After that you need to add a line to your etc fstab here a snip
> of mine (your device might be a different number):
>
> /dev/sda1       /mnt/flash      vfat    defaults,user,noauto
>  0     0

In a previous post I mentioned that I have no /dev/sda1  or any
/dev/sd*

What does that mean in this context?

~

> This should all work if you have the hotplug stuff and the
> usb-utils (or whatever they are called in mandrake) installed.

I have hotplug files inc:
/sbin/hotplug

I have usbutils installed - rpm tells me it is but how can i be
sure?

locate
> A good thing is to install the package "usbviev" so you can see
> first if its recognized cause then it should be loaded too by
> "hotplug"

"usbviev" - I installed it and it shows my mouse and card reader
beautifully!

Thanks for all that.

Walter

--