On Tuesday 16 April 2002 15:01, Walter Logeman wrote:
> In Re: [newbie] Smartmedia card reader, on Tue, 16 Apr 2002
> 02:53,
>  Florian wrote:
>
> Thanks for your reply Florian,
>
> > Hi i got a smartmedia reader and its emulated to be a scsi device
> > (actually that is on a debian machine but the difference should
> > not be too big)
> >
> > do an "lsmod" as root and check if you got "scsi-mod" and
> > "usb-storage" loaded if not you gotta probably add it to your
> > /etc/modules (i hope for you that thats enough)

-snip-

Hi sorry for late reply.
To add a module into a kernel either type "modprobe usb-storage"
Or just add the module to the file /etc/modules in a new line only the name
of the module so it will be loaded at bootup
here is my /etc/modules file it might look different than mandrakes but it
should be ok to just add the correct line .

-snip-

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
# a #, and everything on the line after them are ignored.
ne2k-pci
bttv
#NVdriver
i2c-isa
it87
es1371
apm power_off=1
i2c-viapro
#lm78
#eeprom
usb-storage

Actually there seems to be difference inbetween debian and mandrake here
cause for me the module loads automatically at bootup even without having it
in /etc/modules.
The device should be build afaik automatically if you load the module at
bootup.
Tell me if you have no luck so ill search the docs that i used to get it to
work. On google you find every infos you need i just dont remember with what
search pattern i looked for it.
Cheers
Florian