In Re: [newbie] Smartmedia card reader, on Wed, 17 Apr 2002 05:25,
 Bryan Tyson wrote:

> >   mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/smedia
> >
> > There is no /dev/sda1, there is nothing much like it there
>
> See what happens if you do
>
> modprobe usb-storage
>
> before trying to mount the card.

Thanks Bryan,  output below.

I still have no /dev/sda1... how do they appear?  There is no sd*
device at all in the /dev directory.  I am searching around to try
to understand how these files work.  Still lost after a lot of
reading!

Walter

~~~

1003 root@psybernet:/dev (07:25:43)
# modprobe usb-storage
1004 root@psybernet:/dev (07:26:07)
# lsmod | grep usb
usb-storage            52528   0  (unused)
usbmouse                2048   0  (unused)
input                   3648   0  [keybdev mousedev hid usbmouse]
usb-uhci               21232   0  (unused)
usbcore                50752   1  [usb-storage hid usbmouse
usb-uhci]
scsi_mod               91072   4  [usb-storage sd_mod sg sr_mod
ide-scsi]
1005 root@psybernet:/dev (07:26:13)
# mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/smedia
mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist

--
Walter Logeman
Psychotherapist