Is it possible that you are not running devfs?  If you issue the command cat
/etc/lilo.conf  from a shell, it will display the various boot options that appear on
the menu when you first boot.  Under your linux entry, there should be a line that
begins with append=.  On that line, it probably says devfs=mount or it might say
devfs=nomount.  I'm pretty sure if it says nomount, you will manually need to create
the entries under /dev.  The devfs=mount should create them automatically.

Joe