It sounds like you have a winmodem.  Do you know what type of modem you have?  If you
are dual booting into windows, you can tell from that.  If you can get the
Manufacturer and model number, then you can get the right drivers for linux from
www.linmodems.org

Usually the message you are getting is because the dialer can't talk to the modem
(because the correct driver isn't loaded) and it assumes the modem is busy (wrong) or
not responding (correct).

Joe