On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 09:25:46 -0400, Randy Kramer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> A question and a comment/question:
>
> 1. Does .rtf handle graphics?

Yes, it does. In fact, Microsoft used it as the standard page format for its
original MSN (which was designed to _replace_ the Internet, not work with it).
It's the closest thing we have to a universal word processing format. Hopefully
that'll change now that we have the XML-based OpenOffice.org formats. The
AbiWord developers have been discussing adopting the OpenOffice.org Writer
format as the default for its future versions.

HTML isn't bad, either. The problem is with the interpretation of the standards.
For example, MS products produce horrible HTML. OpenOffice.org's HTML output
isn't bad, but it is still not standards compliant (it's no better than
StarOffice 5.2 in that department). I have found Mozilla Composer to be quite a
nifty (albeit simple) word processor. Its code is 100% standards-compliant, too.

Of course, if all you need is something read-only then you can't go past PDF.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
        -- Ken Olson, President, Chairman and Founder of
                        Digital Equipment Corp., 1977.