Civileme,
Well, we leapfrogged each other there with our posts.  I have not yet
succeeded at getting 5.1 on the 40 gig with win98 and Mandrake 8.1.  I have
attached both of your replies below and inserted further questions in
CAPITAL type.  I am still doing something wrong it seems.

===========================

Well with 8.1 active you can run diskdrake from Mandrake Control
Center--just go to Hardware=>Mount Points and you are there.

I   ALREADY DID A REINSTALL OF 8.1 AND FOUND RH WOULD NOT INSTALL (THIS WAS
MY ORIGINAL PROBLEM ALSO).  IT WAS LOOKING FOR HDA AND ALL MY PARTITIONS ARE
HDA1 (WIN) OR BETTER ... WHY IS WIN HDA1 INSTEAD OF HDA?

If you have space still available for RH 5.1, just make partitions for
it and then install it.  Diskdrake is a Mandrake Tool, so you won't find
it on RH...  They have a much less powerful tool called disk druid which
usually doesn't make partitions except for partitioning an already made
extended area.  When you use diskdrake, make sure you are making ext2
partitions because RH 5.1 doesn't support anything else, and IIRC, you
need the RH / to be a primary partition. (none of Mandrake's need to be)

THIS IS NO DOUBT THE REASON ... SORRY TO BE SO IGNORANT, BUT I BELIEVE
DISKDRAKE DOESN'T REFER TO/LABEL PRIMARY PARTITIONS AS WIN FDISK DOES.  HOW
DO I DO THAT EXACTLY IN DISKDRAKE?

 That may be cause for a reinstall so you can put RH / right after the
winpartition as a primary and let all the others even on the other disk
be extended.

As I recall from RH5.1, there were a number of problems because RH was
moving things from one directory to another.  They are more or less
completely fixed in 5.2 and are curable in 5.1 with the ln -s instruction.

WHEN I GET TO THAT POINT I WILL ASK FOR MORE PARTICULARS ON THAT ISSUE IF
YOU DON'T MIND.

Several caveats....

Never put a windows partition after any linux extended partition.
 Windows won't see it  (that's on a disk-by-disk basis)

Make FAT32 your windows filesystem so you can move things to and from
linux with ease, at least with Mandrake.

Make all your RH partitions mountable from Mandrake--this allows for
special maintenance if the RH becomes tangled at some point.

Make the RH / partition a primary partition on one of the disks, else
the RH installer will regurgitate.

SOUNDS LIKE THE "PRIMARY PARTITION" ISSUE IS WHAT HAS BEEN HANGING ME UP AND
THE 2ND DRIVE WON'T BE NECESSARY.  I'LL USE DISKDRAKE AND REINSTALL 8.1
AGAIN IF YOU CAN POINT OUT HOW I MAKE A PRIMARY PARTITION VS. WHAT I HAVE
BEEN DOING...

If you really want, I can find a couple of Mandrake 5.3 install disks
for you.  I am out of the 5.1 and 5.2 which were never commercially
issued, and I think there are only one of each in Paris (I used to be
their custodian).  Mandrake 5.3 does not have diskdrake--that came first
with 7.0.

THANKS, BUT I AM STUCK WITH 5.1 BECAUSE OF A DEADENDED LEGACY APP. THAT
REQUIRES IT. THAT'S IS THE REASON FOR THIS WHOLE COMPLICATED INSTALL.

============================

> Yes the 10G could take RH...  Use the fdisk as disk druid in 5.1 is
> rather limitefd by assumptions that did not scale.  You can't see mpount
> points unless you are running 8.1, not the install, because mount points
> are kept in a table called /etc/fstab in the running installation, so RH
> could see (if it has the capability) the mandrake partitions as
> /Manroot, /Manhome,, etc if you gave it the mount points fduring install
> just as mandrake can see the RH partitions you tell it about.
>
> The important thing is to use the LILO for 8.1 as it has not 1024
> cylinder limit and can boot all three systems.
>
> A FAT16 partition has very limited use, but that one would best be
> within that 1024 cylinder limit as it is from the same technology era.

OK, I'LL CHANGE THE FAT16 DATA PARTITION TO FAT32 ...

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP AND PATIENCE.  I AM A LINUX NEWBIE AND I'VE
FOUND THE PROCEDURE COMBINING THESE VERSIONS IS NOT EXACTLY SOMETHING I CAN
LOOK UP IN A BOOK.... MOST PEOPLE JUST KEEP UPGRADING AND AVOID THESE
COMPLICATIONS.  WISH I COULD TOO ...

DAN